With over two billion active social media users globally, it’s no wonder how influential it has become. If utilized correctly, it can bring in revenue for your business or drive significant traffic to your blog. But with over 1.5 billion individual pieces of content on the Internet, how can one stand out?
The Importance of Visual Content
People are visual beings and can only retain 10 to 20% of the information they read or hear about. However, once that information is paired with visual elements, the information retained suddenly goes up to 65%. With that being said, people on social media are more willing to engage with visual content.
Source: Market Maven
Here are some additional statistics about visual content and social media:
- 4X as many consumers would prefer to watch a video about a product than to read about it. (Source)
- 1 in 4 consumers actually lose interest in a company if it doesn’t have video. (Source)
- Customers are nearly 50% more likely to read email newsletters that include links to video. (Source)
- Infographics are “liked” and shared on social media 3X more than other any other type of content. (Source)
- Tweets with images receive 150% more retweets than tweets without images. (Source)
- In an analysis of over 1 million articles, BuzzSumo found that articles with an image once every 75-100 words received double the social media shares as articles with fewer images. (Source)
- Facebook posts with images see 2.3X more engagement than those without images. (Source)
- Over 80% of pins are re-pins compared to 1.4% of tweets retweeted. (Source)
Do It The Right Way
Now that we’ve established the importance of visual content, it is now time to implement it the right way. Here is a very useful infographic from Postcron on the right sizes and dimensions for all images related to social media be it posts, profile photo, banners etc.
The Power Of Stock Photos
Here are our top five picks on websites that provide great photographs for free:
Using free images has a lot of benefits. Aside from you not having to spend money, free stock photos are available instantly for download. However, you can bet that you are not the only one using the same photos since they can be downloaded by anyone. You will need to buy photos if you want your business or blog to really stand out. The good news is purchasing stock images is way cheaper than having a professional photo shoot and a lot faster than conducting your own shoot.
Another tip is make sure that your images are there for a reason. Don’t just randomly add photos just because they look pretty. Your images should relate with your content.
Related: Important Tips For New Bloggers
Making Your Own Images
Believe it or not, you don’t need specialist knowledge in Photoshop or InDesign to make your own visual content nowadays. You can use Canva, an online graphic design interface that has loads of templates for any kind of visual content possible.
You can even make your own infograhic using their template. All you have to do is select the template you want and edit the elements you want to be changed. Creating your own visual content has never been this easy!
Implementing visual content in your social marketing strategy will undeniably boost engagement, increase your following and will give the needed diversity in the content that you are sharing. What apps and services do you use in making visual content for your blog or business? Let us know in the comments!